Sunday, June 10, 2007

a working weekend part II

Saturday was an interesting day to say the least; I started the morning (6:30am) by making the fire for breakfast for the aftercare group, then heading to a different part of the site to help with a church group that was there for the day (8am); from Zulu street kids, to Indians rolling up in beamers and all sorts of nice cars... and very evangelical Indians at that...

And THEN at 11am I rolled off to yet another part of the camp site to help out with a 7yr old birthday party that was there from mid-morning to afternoon!! This group were all affluent whites, parents and children, for which I assisted in the use of the rock climbing wall (as a belayer) and the low ropes course; for all my head spins about traversing through three vastly different cultures and demographics within the span of a few hours, the kids were pretty darn cute...

Then (@ ~3pm) I rolled back off to the aftercare group to make the fires for the hot water, the main eating area (for cooking) and main meeting area... bit by bit my fire-making skills are getting back up to where they used to be, though I was coughing all weekend from all the smoke inhalation...

I stayed with the aftercare for the rest of the camp, helped pack up the site and came back on Sunday arvo thoroughly exhausted...

3 comments:

Freakatronic said...

"...though I was coughing all weekend from all the smoke inhalation..."
Rahaha! You're getting soft Natey. I remember when it didn't phase you one bit ;)

Unknown said...

do you rub two rocks together to make the fire or do you actually have matches? haha. nah, i've actually tried lighting a bonfire on a windy day. it was pretty darn hard.

sounds like you're going places and doing things and not have any time to think or contemplate between your traversing through the cultures.

Anonymous said...

I read quite a few of your recent entries now... almsot kinda up to date with your work. But.. I've got to go now, and can't read the MOST recent entries.
I'll leave a comment here in case you don't see it elsewhere.
Have you written about how you have access to the internet??? Cos' i don't know how you get to write so much in a third-world(or is it a devoloping) country!

Be back soon,
-Kaiwin