Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day (insert applicable number, as I've lost count now :S)

So I’ll have to fall back to the archaic day, date and month system that I hear some people still use...

Tues-Wed, 12-13 of June

Coming off camp on Fri-Sun, and then I went back up to L’Abri a day later, charged with the task of constructing fencing for a railing

So I groggily woke up really early in the morning with an sms saying that I was going to be picked up WHEN I woke up (8am); I managed to scrounge some food and stuff into a bag, jump into the car and right back up I went...

Spent the morning trying to figure out what was where, what stuff I could use, and where I could find the trees that were going to be my raw material, had a bite to eat for lunch and then spent the afternoon measuring, sawing and hammering all the way till sunset, after which I then went through another basic computer lesson with Mzwa, one of the site staff

The site staff live in their own houses up there, so I was in the big Lodge all by myself; cooked myself dinner and made a fire to keep me warm

Was weird... I thought I would have a mini freak out whilst up there, figuratively being by myself, but I found it actually really, really peaceful; it was nice to have a task to set myself to, to work and live a little as my own person and not a YDC collective (i.e. a bunch of girls), or a camp

Woke up the next morning, finished a section of the fencing and then attempted to mount it... I think it sorta worked... gave another computer lesson on how to use formatting in MS Word and then jumped back into the buggy for the return trip... all in all, not a bad few days at all :)

3 comments:

Freakatronic said...

Wah...making me misty with pride Natey! Building a fence out of TREES?! In the WILDERNESS?!? Rahaha! That's so tough! Seriously, I remember from my farming days. Fencing is really hard work! Good on you man!

Anonymous said...

After the crazy few weeks I've had, I love coming back to this blog and having you bring me back down to earth. Its such a joy to read what you are experiencing :) Thanks for sharing it with us! Miss you heaps!

- Jo

Anonymous said...

Sawing and making fences?
Wow you must be tanked!
hehe