Friday, June 22, 2007

Fri night, 22 June

Later Friday night, we all ventured out to Shooters, one of the local drinking holes in town; being the only (yes, yes) white people in the establishment (and there being 5 girls), we attracted all sorts of characters

One of the guys that hung around for most of that time was a black fella that seemed fairly well known there, and the curious thing about him was that he spoke English like a white South African; quite well, and with an Afrikaans accent. The fact that we spend most of our time with black Zulus that speak accented broken English, this was something different

And on the way out of the joint, another guy stopped me and asked if I was Chinese, to which I answered yes (I figured, close enough, and as we were just passing by, I wasn’t exactly going to get into detailed explanation); at which point, he then pulled out his wallet, and took out a 10 Yuan note (the currency of China) to show me :S

Coming out of a bustling black pub, in a Zulu capital in South Africa, and being shown a Chinese note was bloody confusing, so I asked if he’d been to China then, to which he responded by saying that he’d just come back from Singapore, which confused me even more as Singapore use dollars (not Yuan), so I simply said in reply “cool”, and continued on my way

Weird

No comments: