Friday, June 01, 2007

Day 11

One of the things you’ll notice when visiting South Africa, is just how fortified everything is; EVERY building and house is secured by some sort of hazardous fencing; the YDC itself has enough barbed wire to divide a paddock, and we are not allowed out on the streets at all when dark

 

I got lost today, walking back from the main office to the YDC, and found myself in what seemed to be a very white neighbourhood; along the way I thought I’d take some pics of what is very normal housing decoration...

 


A detention centre? Secret military base? Nope, this “Superior Security” is ALL around Pietermaritzburg Girls High... and it’s a government school...

 

I walked passed this house on my lost wanderings, and wondered why, in a country where property dividers are usually jagged, razor sharp pieces of metal, this fence was just singular wires...  I thought no... it couldn’t be... these are wires at ground level on a BUSY walking street in a heavily populated school district...

 



Right at the end of the property “Alexpark Mansions”, there’s a little, little yellow sign letting people know, if they were interested, that the fence is electrified :S

1 comment:

Freakatronic said...

I'd be fortifying the hell out of everything with ebola monkeys roaming about too!