Wednesday, June 08, 2005

day in the sun...

... for lack of a proper, imaginative title to this post :S

had intended to get up early for this day, so I could get some work done (or at least appear to) before leaving early - had even set the alarm for half an hour earlier than the usual, but alas, the next thing I know my dad is knocking on my bedroom door and it's 9:45 :S Scurry out of bed, into/out of the shower and away to work...

got there about 10:30am, busied myself with a few bits and pieces, then stopped by ami's place for instructions during lunch :S Am helping her out with her animation minor project in the area of sounds (which reminds me, I should really get started on it...). So i have with me now a motley collection of CDs containing nothing but effects... would be a good way to rock up to a traffic light... windows down, the sound of horses neighing emanating from my car...

ANYWAYS...

had a weekly meeting in the arvo, which concluded a very minimal day :D Raced home to get changed for the ACS Scholarship presentation...

which was still something dubious in my mind... wasn't sure exactly what the whole deal was :S Anyways, me and my dad headed up to the city to meet my mum up there... previous years had the presentation @ parliament house, we got level 46 of the telstra building... what they call the 'investment centre'...

entered the building, pressed the button for the lift... we get in, and two of my lecturers (that actually know me (for those BIT people out there reading this, it was Stas and Dave Kelly)) from last year get in with us... and I'm wondering if I should say something, when Stas breaks the ice by asking if I was prize winner... I managed to mumble yes, and he was impressed, telling me and my parents what a huge deal it was :S

we get out of the lift, grab some name tags and I have to admit, the scene was somewhat impressive - the whole floor was just windows, with an unblocked 360 degree view of the entire city - plasmas on the wall and an array of drinks in wine glasses... actual proper, nice wine, nothing cheap... was starting to think... hey, maybe this isn't some dodgey ceremony...

after milling around and taking in the view, we eventually made our way into the presentation room, where I got to shake the ministers (state, for ICT, Marsha Thompson (the little short lady)) hand, receive a framed certificate and get a few pics (below: i do my best shiny eye impression) - felt very surreal...



then another photo with all the scholarship winners with the minister again... that one felt like a high school pic :P Me and my friends kept cracking jokes about short people up the front, hand on legs, sitting down...

after which me, mum and dad made an early exit (not before they managed to score two glasses of red :S) to eat dinner @ richmond... viet beef noodles being a nice contrast to the 46th floor of the telstra building... came home, and that was the night :)




I'm still a little dubious about the whole thing and it's relevance to me, but what I really enjoyed about the night, what I really got a kick out of, was being able to take my parents to something like this - to have them hear, in that lift on the way up, how much of a big deal this was, to have them being invited guests at such an extravagent venue, and to have them sitting down and listening to a minister of the government referring to us as the creme of the crop, the future, of ICT in Victoria. To be able to give my parents something that they can be proud of... is just the coolest thing

my dad video'd the whole thing, and has been playing it back all night :S

No comments: