Wednesday, January 24, 2007

When the going gets rough...

In light of all the recent postings on blogs that I frequent, I've decided to dedicate this post to all those going through a really, rough time, whether it'd be about work, finances, unrequited love, people not understanding you, or broken cameras...

Little Miss Sunshine was recently nominated for 4 Academy Awards; yet, when it first came out, I only knew of it because of christop, and likewise no one else in my other friendship circles were aware of it either

And in the age of movies with production budgets of $200-$300 million, this one was completed for $8 million


I don't know much, and in full awareness of it, I won't claim any sort of authority about what I think, but here are some thoughts, and I hope they might perhaps help u to see even a sliver of light @ the end of the tunnel

LMS had heaps of witty quotes, but one particulary apt, for the rough times that I had personally been through

Dwayne: I wish I could just sleep until I was eighteen and skip all this crap- high school and everything- just skip it.

Frank: You know Marcel Proust?

Dwayne: He's the guy you teach.

Frank: Yeah. French writer.

Total loser.

Never had a real job.

Unrequited love affairs.

Gay.

Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

Anyway, he uh- he gets down to the end of his life...and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered-Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was.

All those years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing.


So, if you sleep until you're 18... Ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean high school? High school- Those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that.




To throw a little christianese (this is for you karen, sue; mikey should prob cover his ears...) into the fray, David doesn't become David without a Goliath :)

I've been through a lot the last couple of years, have seen a lot, and they've ALL conspired to make me who I am today

And even in light of the failures and anguish I've endured, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Trivia: In case you were wondering, Proust really did exist, and really is a significant literary figure...

4 comments:

Freakatronic said...

I agree with him. It's unfortunate, but the hardest things make us. There's no strength to be gained from an easy life...
But if this is the case, why do we rail against the hard times? When we're well aware that hardship is all that builds us, why do we fight it?
I've got it. I'm going looking for suffering. I'm going to become strong by suffering more than anyone ever has. And then? Then...I'll be strong...

smuethe smilez said...

Optimistic Sue: Thanks Nate =) good post..
Pessimistic Sue: Yeah so the Golliaths make the Davids.. but David kinda just chucked a stone at G and he went down... now if David had to endure a 12 round sparring match with G, maybe he wouldn't have been so darned chirpy in the first place??? .. sorry for this lapse of Christenese.. my point is, even David whinged at times.. and sometimes that's a really good release.. =)

nate said...

Release is good, I'll agree with that - I was just telling LC that tonight; there's no need to apologise for being crappy @ times (or in Sue's case, all the time?! :P); I love my friends for who they are, ALL the time, not just when they're nice :)

iddis said...

Thanks Nate - that's a really good post! Thanks for everything :) *hugs