Tuesday, October 31, 2006

nate wears prada...

I decided to something tonight that I hadn't done in a long, long while.

I decided to go see a movie, by myself.

With 3 hours of sleep, having been up completing a 2000 word assignment, and having been on-the-go from 7:30am-6:30pm, I was quite utterly exhausted.

All the way to the cinema I kept second guessing myself, arguments such as "you don't have that much money to spend already and on top of that you're going to need to find a job soon", "it's not that great a movie, why bother", "why not have a quiet, cheap night @ home, you're going to be too tired to enjoy it anyways" playing over and over in my head, I got to the ticket box and bought a single ticket to The Devil wears Prada.

I walked home again, eating greasy fast food and talking on the phone to Nigel about something or rather to do with wines (at this point I had little cognitive faculty to fully process the conversation really), sat down @ home for 15mins before heading back out :S

I settled into the cinema seat, squished in between people, not even having the solace of space to rest comfortably in, with a girl on the right playing loudly on her phone and the people on my left looking disapprovingly at her. Even the previews weren't that great (I mean, Santa Clause 3?!), and it's usually a part of the experience I relish. The movie started soon after, and the starting sequence was fairly straight forward - a large chunk of it composes the trailer I had seen after all.

But there's something about a good movie that will just blind me to the harsh realities I've become accustomed to dealing with (and living in!!) everyday, and it's really quite annoying :S

I found myself grudgingly evolving from smiling, to chuckling, to laughing @ comedic junctures, and... feeling.

A girl that I could be with, and that could be with me, doesn't exist I still maintain, doesn't exist, the realist within cries out.

But in every halfway decent romantic movie, I find myself inevitably falling in love with the hope of one. The magic of that intangible, or what some may simply call chemistry, that renders that someone else into someone transcendent.

For most, romantic comedies are something to stay away from, especially when still fresh from relationship failure, but for myself I find them completely and utterly necessary – they simply restore my faith and my hope, in love.

Whilst there mightn’t be a girl out there for me, I still walked home a little warmer, and a little fuzzier on the inside – being in love, with the idea of being in love, is something I’m ok with being right now :)


P.S. Oh, and Frank Walker from National Tiles came into lunch today...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what is failure but a stepping stone to success?

Freakatronic said...

No way! Frank Walker from National Tiles who does that "Helloooooooooooo...Frank Walker from National Tiiiiiiaaaales!" ?!?! Rahaha! Did you make him say it?

Oh, and Anne Hathaway? H.O.T. Every letter needs to be capitalised.