Wednesday, June 07, 2006

And finally, onto Sunday...

... this one was always going to take a bit of time to compose...

Sunday morning I actually work up earlish and made it down to Life Expedition... I was quite proud of that, until Tim decided to go overboard... and I found myself lamenting getting there @ 10:30am and still being in the seat @ 12:45pm... but, along with the Flinders Street bumpage last night, was really good to connect with the streeties that go there... grabbed takeaway lunch and headed home to hit the books...

Hit the books until 7, when I thought I'd make my way down to the Sunday dinners in Credo... was getting ready to head down when tremendous noises occurred... lotta banging...

I got down there to a shaken Ali - he'd been in the middle of a violent episode involving two huge drunk guys... who had literally thrown chairs at people, raised them to whack others, thrown bowls with such force as to break on impact... the police were called and took the one guy that had done all these things away...

Dinner went on... had a bowl of stuff and was talking to 'nomes when I heard a streetie discretely telling someone that the other guy was back... and so I inconspicuously headed out into the laneway to see what was up.

He was there, with another guy, drinking a bottle of Port and just being drunk... Ray was there talking with the other guy... and so I sat down with them, to make sure things were ok... started talking to them... well, as much as you can communicate with wasted people... and we sat there for the hour or so... was bloody freezing...

Eventually he falls asleep, and Christop has joined us by then... we start talking about what to do about getting them home... when Ray came out, nudged me and said as discretely as she could that we need to get them out NOW... cuz the Sunday night volunteers had called the cops again... I had but a moment to process that information when I looked up, and blinked hard... two cops walking were bearing down on us... I was like... frikking heck, this is bad...

To be continued...

6 comments:

Tab said...

So how'd it finish?

Unknown said...

ooh! i love your stories, natey! haha. how have you been?

Christop said...

I thought you weren't going to blog this?

Anonymous said...

Tim always tends to talk for a very long term. I realy pray that he'd keep his sermons more concise- say 15 minutes- then it might be more meaningful. But overall- sermons at ACCF go for an awfully long time. The speakers - even if they are not the preacher- just keep on talking and talking. Totally ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I think Aunty Jean Lim set the record when her sermon went overboard for 3 hours. Service starts at 10am- Service "ends at 3pm) The only reason why she had to stop was that the school (which ACCF had borrowed the hall from) had a concert to perform. Man, half the congregation had walked up and left by that time.

Rebecca said...

eh, careful w/ ur blogging nate. ;)