Sunday, April 09, 2006

God has a pretty whack sense of destiny...

... or at least, an bizar sense of humour :S

Just came back from a night @ Boulevard, which was pretty good - a great way to unwind after a mega-stressful week.

Ami and the girls offered me a lift back, which I declined; I figured the walk will do me good, and the weather wasn't too bad.

I walked back along St Kilda Rd... past the National Gallery, with the serene, oh-so-still water in front of it... there was no one around, so it was quiet-ish, it was a really nice way to end a night, I found myself thinking.

Crossed the road @ Flinders, was walking towards Macca's where @ 4:15ish in the morning, I recognised Sheree, pacing around outside McD's, with a mob of other assorted street people.

I stopped to say hello, but she was pretty tense - her friend had gotten stabbed by someone else she was fairly close to, and whilst she was able to talk to me, she obviously hadn't been having a good time lately.

Then some guy came along, some guy that appeared to be middle-class, and started trying to be funny with the bunch, was pretty obviously drunk.

Sheree didn't have much tolerance - she fully started verbally telling him to get lost. This girl, who was 30ish, had been on the streets since forever, and been through more things than I will take the liberty to write here, and tough as nails, like fully, was not about to back down.

And there I was, right in between a bunch of people that have some of the hardest lives in Melbourne, and some drunk idiot.

I've had no experience in this, really. I've been taught things like the 7 laws of the learner, have led cell groups, be preached @ for umpteen years. But where I was? That was real... that was in your face, and that was (in my head) "Nathan, so what are you going to do NOW. This ain't a group of affluent asian kids, you ain't know nothing"

I put myself between the two, my arm around the drunk idiot and said "mate, let's take a walk". He kept going on about being able to take on all of the, kept posturing, and I kept asking what his name was...

After a few attempts, I walked with him down the street, where a distance on he wanted to head off, and he did.

I walked halfway back to Sheree, stopped outside the Commonwealth Bank, and just softly bashed my head backwards onto the wall.

Walked back to Sheree, she told me, tensely, but as a friend, that she wasn't in the mood to talk given the stabbing, etc, and I told her that's fine, she should do what she needs to do, that I just wanted to say hello, and that I was going to head back then.

I dunno God... it's like you really don't want me to be bored, huh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont try to be a police, u're just a normal aussie citizen, stay out of crimes and vulgar ppls. u want to help ppls like those, be a cop!

Anonymous said...

so you mentioned you had FUN!!?? in a club!!? thats so unheard of nathan. How can u have 'fun' in those places!??