Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Masukwana, Wed, 4 Jul

With only a day of rest (Tues), I decided to join one of the street teams on Wed

After meeting in the morning at the YFC office, we walked down to the Masukwana township, a slum area if you will, of stick shelters, one running water tap between 50 houses and no electricity


There we ran a morning kids programme, of basic comprehension and games

Even now, it's hard not to be a little emotional when thinking about it; kids, from 3-13 years old, utterly and completely adorable, who have so little

Shoes, if they have them at all, that are broken and many sizes too big

I sat on the dusty, dusty ground, with a pair of 3-5 yr olds climbing over me and playing with my cap that I'd put on one of their heads

Later one of the workers told me that one of the 4yr olds, one I'd shared my bottle of water with, was currently eating out of bins, as there wasn't a reliable or secure home or food source

And coming from a Western context where it can be normal for kids to be getting super computer video game consoles, to see the utter enjoyment these kids got from the luxury of a 10c balloon...??? A 10 CENT balloon - flipping heck...

And then in the afternoon we conducted 'home' visits, which in this case meant visiting the older kids where they begged and slept; one 'home' was simply the freeway intersection, and the other a basic concrete alcove

No comments: